Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Friendships Old and New



I have always found it fascinating to ponder how friendships develop. When I was in college I worked as a camp counselor in the summers. I can remember 4 weeks into the summer thinking, "How did I get to be such good friends with this person I just met 4 weeks ago? What initially made us have these long, drawn out interesting conversations? How come he/she never bores me? I could sit out under this night sky in silence with this person and it doesn't get awkward!" However, every time I tried to trace back to what the initial interest was, I could never figure it out. Since then I have attempted to be more aware of developing friendships and take notice of experiences and/or events that somehow determine the growth or deterioration of my relationship with friends.  It's very rare that I meet someone and think, "kindred spirit!"  I only know of 3 friends that qualify for that standard (excluding my husband). One friend has known me since we were 7 years old; the other two I have known for 11 years. Time and distance do not seem to effect the closeness I have with these friends. It's as though we can be apart for years, and upon meeting again not only can they read my thoughts, but they seem to know every nuance to my thinking. Earlier this month my path intersected with a fascinating woman, and I found myself instantaneously wanting to know more about her. We were sitting next to one another in a chorus rehearsal. Common interest #1: Classical music. While the men were working on parts I pulled out a book to read--The Great Divorce by C. S. Lewis. She noticed the book and wah-lah we find common interest #2: C.S. Lewis. We conversed a little about nothing in particular, but something struck me about her. We seemed to have similar thinking. Before long chorus was over and off we went our separate ways.  Two weeks later, we find ourselves sitting next to each other again. During break we get to talking. She finds out my husband is in the Navy. Her husband served 20 years and retired. Common interest #3: Navy wives. She starts talking about her children. They are elementary age and she home schools them both. Common interest #4: Home schooling (something I do not do since I do not have children, but something that has always interested me none the less). Furthermore, not only does she home school, but me oh my, she is involved with Classical Christian education and has actually heard of things Classical Conversations, Veritas, Doug Wilson etc.etc. etc. Weirdness! How's it possible I've been sitting in rehearsals with this woman for a year and just now we are discovering how many common interests we have! She is Russian and moved to the states 14 years ago. Her children are bilingual. From birth she has daily read to her children from a Russian Bible. Her husband has read to them from an English Bible. She and her husband are devout Christians! Common (and most binding) Interest #5:  Christianity. She launched into her testimony as we sat excited and stunned at our shared hobbies and beliefs.   She accompanies another choral group in town. Common Interest #6: She's a pianist! Friendship is born. Before the night was over we had already invited one another out and over to each other's homes. In her beautiful Russian accent she exclaims, "You must come. Come to my home. Meet my family!" I could have talked with her for hours. In most friends we find a few common passions, but rarely do we find someone where all our dearest interests align. I left that evening with these two C.S Lewis  quotes wafting through my mind: 


“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You too? I thought I was the only one.” 

“People who bore one another should meet seldom; people who interest one another, often.” 

Thankful that God blesses me with friendships old and new. 

1 comment:

  1. It is weird to think about how freindships develop and last, especially the ones that last despite time and distance. <3

    ReplyDelete